It's big but impressive. That's the general impression from a recent site inspection of the new Indoor Swimming Centre in Kenneth Road which is currently under construction.
The tour included vantage points inside the site, where tonnes of earth have been extracted to build three pools, and where a crèche, gym, spa, sauna and onsite parking will be located.
Principal contractors FDC Construction and Fitout Pty Ltd are building the Manly Swim Centre which was designed by architect Tompkins MDA.
The new Swim Centre, located next to LM Graham Reserve, will incorporate the existing outdoor swimming facilities. The new centre will feature:
· A 25 metre, 8 lane heated lap pool with ramp entry
· Spectator seating for 150 people
· A program pool for exercise and rehabilitation with ramp entry
· A fun children's play and leisure pool with a beach entry
· A spa pool, sauna and steam room facilities
· Administration offices
· Gymnasium, group fitness and wellbeing rooms
· A cafe and crèche
· A separate community building in LM Graham Reserve, backing onto Kenneth Road, will contain change
rooms, public toilets, a state of the art co-generation energy plant, bike storage and a bus shelter.
· On-site parking for 54 cars including 4 accessible and 2 parent with pram spaces. Parking also available on
Kenneth Road, and nearby streets.
The Centre is expected to be completed and fully operational by June 2016.
Candy Bingham, Deputy Mayor & Manly Ward Councillor on Northern Beaches Council. Background in marketing, public relations and community engagement. Author of five business books. Former Lady Mayoress of Sydney. Aka Candy Tymson.